Scars are often treated as a symbol of victory or accomplishment over a major event in their lives. It can be physical or not and both are things in your life that you should be proud of. On the other hand, it is understandable that physical scars may have some people prefer it to be covered instead. There are several options in making your scars diminish in size or form. People may choose to apply lotions for scars or even undergo clinical surgery. If you’ve chosen to restore your scars using cosmetic surgery, the Restoration Clinic team helps with surgery scars, check their services.
What Causes My Scars?
Scars are healed through collagen forming on the deep layers that are wounded. Collagen is fibrous tissues that appear usually thick in size once it forms. Knowing what causes your scars may help you determine which is the best lotion for your scars. Scars come in different shapes or marks depending on the damages to the deep layers of skin. Check out some of the reasons for your scars on this list:
- Keloid scars – Also known as “ice pick” scars, they develop usually after 3-12 months from surgery or injury situations. Keloid scars are thicker and elevated than most scars and may not go away quickly. You will always feel itchy with this type of scar.
- Hypertrophic scars – These are scars that settle naturally on a person’s skin and can have a healing process of 1-2 years. It appears quicker after surgery in 3 weeks. It appears to be also elevated and often times itchy.
- Acne scars – Acne scars appear when a person has severe acne breakouts and may cause wounds due to persistent scratching or other skin issues.
- Medical conditions – Certain rare skin disease might cause your skin to get bruised or damaged very quickly. Epidermolysis Bullosa and Hidradenitis Suppurativa are two rare skin diseases that can cause the skin to be extremely fragile and can have deep wounds in the skin
How To Choose The Best Lotion For Scars
There are a handful of options to choose from the market on getting that best lotion for scars. Did you know that there are actually categories and skin types for scar removing solutions? Some scar removing products are even medically prescribed and can be in the form of injections, ointments, creams, lotions, moisturizers, or oil. Lotions are usually preferred to be sold commercially nowadays and are usually custom-made for different types of skin. Some of the characteristics of a good lotion for scars are these:
- Natural ingredients
- Anti-Acne-scarring lotions
- Lotion designed for Kids and Teens
- Stretchmarks and normal body scars
- Other products: Silicone sheets, antihistamines, vitamin drops
Check With Your Dermatologist
If you’ve undergone major surgery, most likely, your doctor will also mention that you can lessen its appearance with products such as lotions for scars. It is best that you ask your dermatologist or surgeon for the best recommendations that they can give. You’ll also find other people that may have undergone the same situation with you and can give tips on buying the best-suited lotion to rejuvenate your skin’s appearance.