Colon stricture refers to the narrowing of some sections of small and large intestines slowing food movement and blocking passage of wastes. Stricture within the colon is a life-threatening ailment which can lead to hospitalization if not treated in its early stages. Conventional structures are prevalent in our daily lives. A patient with strictures in the colon often shows signs of inflammation bowels, ischemia, cross-connection of intestines a condition commonly known as anastomosis.
For Sydney Dental implant call now.
- Abdominal mycobacterial infection
- The growth of tumors in and around the colon, these can be cancerous
- Acute inflammation of the bowel or colon
- Chronic scars in the gut
- Abnormal bulging of colon tissues (a hernia)
- Twisting of the intestines
Diagnosis of Colon stricture can be done through BARIUM ENEMA. It’s a medical procedure that physicians use to diagnose and examine the intestinal tracks. It diagnoses problems related to the colon tract. It is a procedure that involves imaging, x-rays, and ultrasound. These graphics are taken with barium sulfate compounds. The contrast metallic barium sulfate solution is administered to the rectum while enema takes radiographs of the affected area. In this case, colonoscopy can also be used. The barium solution is usually infused utilizing a catheter, through anus channeling all the way to the rectum aiming at filling the colon.
- Abdominal pains
- Bowel bloating
- Obstruction of colon
- Nausea and vomiting
Most gastroenterologists explain that treating strictures in the colon involves lots of risks since the chances of them reoccurring is often very high. However, they can be handled a follows -Using balloon dilation, this helps in opening the colon.
- Using stent, steroids or anti-inflammatory agents. A stent is a coil that keeps the stricture open.
- Endoscopic surgery- in case the two options fail. Your physician may consider surgery. There are two types of operation in this case
- A stricturoplasty- this is done when a large chunk of your intestine was removed before due to many strictures
A resection- this focuses on removing only the infected part
- Lead a healthy eating life
- Avoid smoking
- Avoid heavy items that might cause your intestines to tangle.